Chimney Sweep | Chimney Repair | Chimney Inspection
Chimney cleaning, chimney repair, masonry, and roofing services in the Bowie, MD area.
With 30+ years of experience, A Step In Time Maryland, LLC has provided chimney cleaning, chimney inspections, chimney repairs, chimney inspections, and chimney liner installation. that locals trust in Bowie, MD.
During inspections, our technicians provide detailed inspection photos and educate you regarding state building codes regarding the safety of your fireplace.
As an introductory offer, the National Fire Protection Agency recommends getting Level 1 chimney inspections which are completely free.
We know that experiencing our customer service, quality of work and expert insights will make you our lifelong clients.
We are highly rated on Google and Yelp and have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. Your satisfaction is our priority.
Get your free estimate and schedule an appointment with us today!
Get A $99 Chimney Sweep for open fireplaces from the Chimney Cleaning and Chimney Repair Experts.
Get your Free Estimate
Our Chimney Repair, Roofing Masonry & Dry Vent Cleaning Services
Excellent chimney cleaning, inspections, and repairs provided by the leading chimney specialists in Bowie, MD
Our trusted roofing contractors make roof repair and replacement easy.
Our expert masons will help you with any masonry project big or small.
Dryer Vent Cleaning
Increase your dryer’s efficiency and keep your home safe from fire hazard with regular dryer vent cleaning from Maryland’s best chimney sweeps.
Go beyond chimneys with our structural engineering services, including inspection to evaluate any structural damage.
Our trusted roofing contractors make repairing and replacement of structural damage to your home easy.
Michael Shipe is the owner and C.E.O. of A Step in Time Maryland, LLC. A Step in Time Maryland, LLC provides chimney cleaning, chimney inspections, chimney repairs, dryer vent cleaning, and roofing repairs. A Step in Time Maryland, LLC is owned and operated by Michael Shipe and is not affiliated with the global corporate franchise development. The policy of A Step in Time Maryland, LLC is to provide the highest quality of service, documenting and educating our clients regarding state building codes and recommending the best way to keep their chimney, dryer vents, and roof in proper working order.
Why is it important to have my chimney cleaned and inspected?
- Fire safety: When you burn wood or other materials in your fireplace or stove, it creates a byproduct called creosote that can accumulate inside your chimney. Creosote is highly flammable and can lead to chimney fires if it is not removed through regular cleaning.
- Health concerns: A dirty or blocked chimney can cause harmful gases, such as carbon monoxide, to build up in your home. This can be dangerous or even fatal for you and your family.
- Structural integrity: Over time, chimneys can become damaged due to weather, wear and tear, and other factors. Regular inspections can identify any structural issues before they become major problems, such as leaks or collapsing chimneys.
By having your chimney regularly cleaned and inspected, you can ensure that it is safe to use and that it will function properly for years to come. It is recommended that you have your chimney inspected and cleaned at least once a year by a professional chimney cleaning and repair company such as A Step In Time Maryland, LLC.
How often should I have my chimney cleaned and inspected?
The frequency of chimney cleaning and inspection depends on several factors, including the type of fuel you burn, the amount of use your chimney gets, and the condition of your chimney. However, as a general guideline, it is recommended that you have your chimney cleaned and inspected at least once a year by a professional chimney cleaning and repair company.
For wood-burning fireplaces, it is recommended that you have your chimney cleaned and inspected more frequently, especially if you use your fireplace frequently or burn unseasoned wood, which creates more creosote buildup. In this case, it is recommended that you have your chimney cleaned and inspected twice a year.
If you use your chimney to burn oil or gas, you may not need to have it cleaned as frequently. However, it is still important to have it inspected annually to ensure that it is functioning properly and to identify any potential issues.
Ultimately, the best way to determine how often you need to have your chimney cleaned and inspected is to consult with a professional chimney cleaning and repair company such as A Step In Time Maryland, LLC. They can assess your chimney and recommend a maintenance schedule that is tailored to your specific needs.
What are the signs that my chimney may need repairs?
There are several signs that your chimney may need repairs. Here are some common signs to look out for:
- Cracks in the chimney structure: Cracks can develop due to weathering, age, or other factors. These can be visible on the exterior of the chimney or may be detected during a chimney inspection
- Damaged or missing chimney crown: The crown is the top part of the chimney that protects the masonry and mortar from weather damage. If the crown is damaged or missing, water can seep into the chimney and cause structural damage.
- Spalling bricks or mortar: Spalling occurs when the bricks or mortar on the chimney start to flake or chip away due to water damage or age.
- Water damage inside the home: If you notice water stains or damage near the fireplace or chimney, it may be a sign that water is getting into the chimney.
- Poor draft or ventilation: If you notice that smoke is not venting properly from your fireplace or that you are getting a lot of smoke inside your home, it may be a sign that your chimney is not functioning properly.
- Foul odors: If you notice foul odors coming from your fireplace, it may be a sign that there is a blockage in your chimney or that there is water damage.
If you notice any of these signs, it is important to have your chimney inspected by a professional chimney cleaning and repair company such as A Step In Time Maryland, LLC. They can assess the condition of your chimney and recommend the necessary repairs to ensure that it is functioning properly and safely.
What types of repairs do you offer for chimneys?
As a chimney cleaning and repair company, we offer a wide range of chimney repair services to address a variety of issues. Here are some common chimney repairs that we offer:
- Chimney relining: This involves installing a new liner inside your chimney to protect your home from dangerous gases and heat.
- Masonry repairs: This includes repairing cracked or deteriorated mortar joints, replacing missing bricks, and addressing other structural issues.
- Chimney cap and crown repair or replacement: This involves repairing or replacing the chimney cap or crown to prevent water and debris from entering the chimney.
- Chimney flashing repair or replacement: This involves repairing or replacing the flashing around the chimney to prevent water from seeping into your home.
- Chimney rebuilding: In cases where the damage is severe, we may need to rebuild your chimney from the ground up.
- Tuckpointing: This involves replacing the mortar between the bricks in the chimney to address issues such as cracks and gaps.
- Waterproofing: We offer various waterproofing solutions to prevent water damage and extend the life of your chimney.
These are just a few examples of the types of chimney repairs that we offer. At A Step In Time Maryland, LLC, we believe in providing tailored solutions to meet the unique needs of each customer. Our team of experienced professionals can assess the condition of your chimney and recommend the best repair options to ensure that it is functioning properly and safely.
How much does it cost to have a chimney cleaned or repaired?
The cost of chimney cleaning and repair services can vary depending on several factors such as the type of service needed, the extent of the damage, the size of the chimney, and the location of the home. For example, the cost of chimney cleaning may vary based on the amount of creosote buildup in the chimney and the height of the chimney.
Similarly, the cost of repairs may depend on the type of repair needed, such as replacing a chimney cap or rebuilding a section of the chimney. Some repairs may also require additional services, such as scaffolding or crane services, which can add to the overall cost.
It is important to note that investing in regular chimney maintenance and repairs can help prevent more costly repairs in the long run. Additionally, a well-maintained chimney can help prevent safety hazards such as chimney fires or carbon monoxide poisoning.
To get an accurate estimate for your chimney cleaning or repair needs, it is best to contact a professional chimney cleaning and repair company such as A Step In Time Maryland, LLC. They can assess the condition of your chimney and provide an estimate based on your specific needs.
Are your chimney cleaning and repair services covered by insurance?
As a chimney cleaning and repair company, we are licensed and insured to provide services to our customers. Our liability insurance covers any accidental damage to your property that may occur during our work. Additionally, we provide workers' compensation insurance for our employees, which covers any injuries that may occur while working on your property.
It is important to note that insurance coverage may vary based on the specific policy of the chimney cleaning and repair company. We recommend that you ask any company you are considering for their insurance coverage details before hiring them to ensure that you are protected in the event of any accidents or damages.
At A Step In Time Maryland, LLC, we take pride in providing quality chimney cleaning and repair services that meet the highest standards of safety and quality. We are committed to providing a worry-free experience for our customers, and that includes ensuring that our work is covered by the appropriate insurance coverage.
How long does it take to clean or repair a chimney?
The amount of time it takes to clean or repair a chimney can vary depending on several factors, such as the size and condition of the chimney, the type of services needed, and any additional factors that may impact the work, such as weather conditions or accessibility issues.
For a typical chimney cleaning, the process usually takes between 1-2 hours to complete. However, if the chimney has a large amount of buildup or other issues that require additional attention, it may take longer to complete.
For chimney repairs, the time it takes to complete the work can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the type of repair needed. Minor repairs, such as replacing a chimney cap or repairing small cracks, may only take a few hours to complete. However, more extensive repairs, such as rebuilding a section of the chimney, can take several days to complete.
To get a more accurate estimate of the time it will take to clean or repair your chimney, it is best to contact a professional chimney cleaning and repair company such as A Step In Time Maryland, LLC. They can assess the condition of your chimney and provide an estimate based on the specific services needed.
What qualifications and experience do your technicians have?
At our chimney cleaning and repair company, A Step In Time Maryland, LLC, we take pride in hiring highly qualified and experienced technicians to provide our services. Our technicians are fully licensed and certified in their respective fields, and they undergo extensive training and continuing education to ensure they stay up-to-date with the latest industry standards and best practices.
Our technicians have years of experience working in the chimney cleaning and repair industry, and they bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to every job they perform. They have the skills and expertise necessary to handle a wide range of chimney-related issues, from routine cleanings to complex repairs.
We also conduct thorough background checks and drug tests on all of our technicians to ensure that they are trustworthy, reliable, and professional. We take pride in providing our customers with the highest level of service and expertise, and we believe that our qualified and experienced technicians are a key part of that commitment.
What types of equipment do you use for chimney cleaning and repairs?
At our chimney cleaning and repair company, A Step In Time Maryland, LLC, we use a variety of specialized equipment to clean and repair chimneys. The specific equipment we use may vary depending on the type of services being provided and the condition of the chimney. Some of the most common equipment we use include:
Chimney brushes and rods: These are specialized brushes that are designed to clean the interior of chimneys. They come in various sizes and shapes to fit different chimney configurations, and are attached to long rods that allow our technicians to reach deep into the chimney.
High-powered vacuums: We use high-powered vacuums to remove debris and soot from the chimney during the cleaning process. These vacuums are designed to capture and contain the debris to prevent it from spreading throughout your home.
Video inspection equipment: For more complex chimney issues, we may use specialized video inspection equipment to get a better look at the interior of the chimney. This equipment allows us to identify any damage or blockages that may be difficult to see with the naked eye.
Tuckpointing tools: For chimney repairs, we use specialized tuckpointing tools to remove damaged or deteriorated mortar and replace it with new mortar. This process helps to restore the structural integrity of the chimney and prevent further damage.
Overall, we use only the highest-quality equipment for our chimney cleaning and repair services to ensure that we provide our customers with the best possible results.
What steps do you take to ensure the safety of my home during the cleaning or repair process?
At our chimney cleaning and repair company, A Step In Time Maryland, LLC, the safety of your home and your family is our top priority. We take a number of steps to ensure that your home is protected during the cleaning or repair process. Here are some of the steps we take:
- Covering floors and furniture: We will cover your floors and furniture with protective drop cloths to prevent any soot or debris from getting on them.
- Sealing off the work area: We will seal off the work area to prevent any dust or debris from spreading to other areas of your home.
- Using high-powered vacuums: We use high-powered vacuums during the cleaning process to remove any debris or soot from the chimney, and we take great care to ensure that the debris is contained and not spread throughout your home.
- Conducting safety inspections: Before beginning any work, we conduct a thorough safety inspection of your chimney and fireplace to identify any potential safety hazards.
- Taking precautions for gas appliances: If you have a gas appliance, we will take extra precautions to ensure that it is safely shut off and that there are no gas leaks during the cleaning or repair process.
- Using safety gear: Our technicians wear protective gear, including safety glasses, gloves, and respirators, to protect themselves and your home during the cleaning and repair process.
Overall, we take every possible precaution to ensure the safety of your home and your family during the cleaning or repair process. If you have any specific concerns or questions about our safety procedures, please don't hesitate to ask.
What Our Customers Are Saying in Bowie, MD
"Mike and his team did a great job with the estimate and execution. He is quick to answer your calls and is thorough in his estimation and description of the chimney needs. Their level of communication is excellent. The team showed up early and were very courteous and thorough. I highly recommend them."